- WRs, aside from, Golden Tate: Marvin Jones and Anquan were good today. That’s about it. Obviously when your team only puts up 15 points there aren’t too many offensive bright spots but from what I heard MJ and Anquan were solid.
- Matt Prater: Answered the phone when he was called upon. A hallmark of all the good kickers.
- Kerry Hyder: Looked great again with a few more tackles for loss. Guy was a good enough preseason holdover to make people forget about cutting Rudock.
- Eric Ebron: Had some clutch catches, especially the 20+ yarder to extend the last drive of the game. HOWEVER, he had two penalties that took back touchdowns (yes, I know that the PI was bullshit, but it is what it is). He has to be smarter if he wants to become a difference maker on this team.
- Defense: Held the Titans to 16 points and recorded a safety, but when the team needed this defense to show up the most, on the Titans’ only touchdown drive, they couldn’t get it done. Whether it be the secondary needing to knock down that touchdown pass or the line not getting enough pressure on Mariota, the D came up just a little bit short. This year the defense isn’t gonna be great but they need to get stops when the team needs them. They didn’t get it done today and that was a real disappointment.
- The Refs: This was the worst officiated game I have ever heard. There wasn’t one call that DIRECTLY effected the game, i.e. The Seattle batting out of the end zone or GB false facemask call last year. But, a game with 29 penalties in it wasn’t fun to watch/listen to. Three touchdowns were called back due to penalty; the Ebron PI was one of the worst calls of the early NFL season. They missed an illegal hit on Stafford, which would have gotten called on more “valued” QBs. There was a point in the game where it seemed like a penalty was called every other play. If I did my job that poorly I would get fired. Its been said 1000 times, but these guys need to be full time employees, because they are the worst refs in all professional sports, even worse than the NBA. I don’t expect them to nail every call, but c’mon guys. The worst part is that nothing will happen to this crew. I want, nay, I need accountability from these refs whether it be a suspension or a fine. This crew was absolutely atrocious. If any reader out there can get me their names/twitter handles it will be greatly appreciated. Until then I will just keep tweeting Dean Blandino (screw you, you Dallas Cowboys son-of-a-bitch. You cost us a playoff game and for that I will always hate you), demanding answers.
That’s it for this week. Go walk this earth as a fan of a miserable franchise and wallow in sadness until the Lions get your hopes up only to get crushed again. GO LIONS!